Sunday, August 31, 2008

Lame Horse AGAIN

Zhak is lame AGAIN. I guess since we've had the drought, then TS Fay brought rain and the grass starting growing again, he has laminitis again. I've checked him out--no heat, minor pulse in the foot, no obvious bruising, a very minor amount of white line separation-which he had before, and his toes are needing rasping again. Certainly not enough to make him standing lame. But there he is. Well, at least it is one foot and not two-which it has been in the past--and he is walking on it-some-after I booted it.

I had such hopes for the little guy--I was going to train him for CTR and harness. But my work and my mom's illness got in the way and now here he is 12 years old and pretty darn near useless. I'm miserable about it. I feel like I should be shot for allowing this to happen. Here's a cute little horse with tons of potential that has gone to pot because I allowed it to happen.

Well, self-flagellation aside--I can't do much with him while he's lame except work on his insistence that something is determined to EAT HIM. The world is full of monsters to Zhak--to hear him tell it anyway. He's reactive-gets it from his dam, an arab who thoroughly believes in saber-toothed butterflies. So, I will start atonement for my sins of the past.

Saber-toothed butterflies--BEWARE!!

No comments: