Saturday, September 27, 2008

trailriding last Thursday

My friend and I went out riding on Thursday afternoon--she on her Paso Fino mare, and I on my arabian/tarpan gelding.  It's early autumn in Georgia-the hunters aren't out yet-at least the gun hunters aren't, and the woods are just starting to hint at color. It's been dry-we're in an extreme drought--so things are very brittle.  Her dogs escaped confinement--much to her disgust--and I was able to use my whip to encourage them to stay out from in front of the horses' feet--where, for some doggie reasoning, they insisted on walking.  A few yips of protest later--dogs sniffing the weeds happily elsewhere close by--we proceeded on our way.

One of the hunter-jumper barns in the area has an owner who is apparently buying up a great deal of land around his facility.  We haven't heard what his plans are, but we're enjoying the fact that he's using a mower to clear space for horses to come through on some very lovely property--and doesn't mind if the neighbors use it as well.  Only requirements he has is--don't dump trash, don't ride if they are having a "hunt day", and don't mess up their constructed jumps.  Not a problem with us.  We prowl and keep a lookout for strangers and violators. It's a workable arrangement for everyone--at least so far.

The one thing that needs to be done is to more or less map and name some of the trails out there so riders could be found in an emergency.  It is gorgeous out there.  The land has not been used in some years--I saw some old stone walls that looked to be Civil War age.   Creek beds are dried up right now, but normally there's good water in there.  Trees are fairly old in places.  May find an old homestead.

It's nice to be back riding on a schedule again.  The horses are enjoying it, too.  Settling into that good covering walk--ears up, head level, looking around with a great deal of interest.  Now to see if I can get my friend interested in going for longer and longer distances........!  There's motive behind this madness!

1 comment:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like a beautiful place to ride. If I was closer I'd go with you, I love finding old trails, stone walls and possibly homesteads. I'll bet when they're finished with it this place will be really amazing.